Assistant Chief Engineer
Main purpose of job
To act as deputy technical lead to the department working alongside the Chief Engineer, ensuring projects progress along the correct technical path taking advantage of new relevant technologies where appropriate.
Position in structure/supervisory responsibilities
Report to the R&D Manager.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplined international project team with the ability to work using ones own initiative
- Solid experience in either a Senior Systems or Design Engineering role, including hands on experience in three or more of the following subject areas; electronics, firmware, software, robotics, optics, fluidics and mechanics
- Experience in the design of analytical and/or medical instrumentation is a distinct advantage
- First class analytical, design and problem solving skills, able to “blue sky” concept design
- Technically up to date with current processes and componentry
- Have experience of taking instrumentation through every phase of the product development lifecycle
- Capable of encapsulating requirements in written form and generating well considered concept design architectures
- Provide concept designs from marketing requirements
- Clear concise written documentation.
- Provide detailed design briefs for senior Engineers and Design Teams
- Assist in formulation and ensure implantation of R&D procedures and standards
- Able to technically validate proposals
- Input to departmental strategic plans.
- Create detailed embodiment design from concept design, across disciplines
- Provide in-depth understanding, analysis and development of specific technology
- Smart appearance with good communication skills, able to represent the company to ITL clients
- Liaise with our clients to agree specifications
- Participate in design reviews
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
Ideally, a Chief Engineer would meet all of the experience criteria however it is more important that the person has strong technical skills in some areas and can apply themselves to new areas.
- Degree (Engineering, Electronics or Physics)
- Phd, Masters or 2:1 and above degree
- Should demonstrate an understanding and be competent in all disciplines (e.g. Electronics/software/mechanical design)
- High level of competence in 2 or more of the following; Engineering Design and Analysis, Project Delivery from concept to production, Technical Supervision, control systems, Optics, Thermal analysis, Instrumentation
- Specialist Technical Courses
- 5 years in relevant industry in systems design/development environment (3 years as responsible Systems Design Engineer)
- Wide experience of dealing and interacting with clients, vendors, consultants and engineering design teams
- Expert usage of design tools
- An understanding of British and International regulatory standards for instrument design (61010/FDA/60601)
- Familiarity with an R&D environment and its procedures
- Fluent in both written and verbal English, ability to write reports
In addition to the above functions and responsibilities employees are required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required.
To apply for this role please send your CV and covering letter to our Human Resources Officer, Vicki Williams on firstname.lastname@example.org